Q. Do I need to hire an attorney if I plan on pleading guilty?

Yes, you definitely need an attorney even if you intend on entering a guilty plea. Our attorneys can help you possibly avoid a conviction even if you do enter a guilty plea. Also, there are many different burdensome conditions that go along with a guilty plea and an our attorneys can advise and help you avoid some of those burdensome conditions.

Q. Is there a difference between probation and parole?

Yes, they are quite different. Probation is a period of time someone goes through that requires good behavior (no arrests) in lieu of serving jail time. A judge orders probation. Parole is something granted by a State parole board allowing early release from a prison sentence.

Q. When I am arrested, should I speak with a police officer?

You should cooperate fully with the police officer but you should not make any statements concerning the offense you are alleged to have committed.

Q. Is there a difference between a felony and misdemeanor charge?

Yes. In Alabama, there are class A, B, C and D felonies. All felonies carry a sentence of at least 1 year and 1 day and all jail sentences are served in the State Department of Corrections. Convicted felons lose their right to vote and to possess firearms. In Alabama, there are Class A, B and C misdemeanors. Misdemeanors carry a maximum sentence of 1 year in the County or City jail.

Q. What is the difference between a dismissal and an expungement?

If your case is dismissed, your record will show that you were arrested, that charges were brought, but that the charges were later dismissed and no further prosecution took place. An expungement is when the record of your arrest, and the subsequent criminal case, are destroyed and any public access to this information is eliminated.

Q. What crimes are considered domestic violence?

Any form of Harassment, Reckless Endangerment, Assault , Menacing, Criminal Mischief, Criminal Coercion, Criminal Surveillance, Criminal Trespass or Arson and the victim is a current or former spouse, parent, step-parent, child, step-child, any person with whom the defendant has a child in common, a present household member, or a person who has or had a dating relationship with the defendant.

Q. What type of crimes does your firm handle?

Our firm offers an experienced defense to all felonies, misdemeanors and violations. Our firm has attorneys that have vast experience with all types of criminal cases from Capital Murder to DUI to Drug Possession to White Collar Crime and everything in between.

Q. What is the process after criminal charges are filed in court?

This depends on what type of crime you are charged with (Felony, Misdemeanor or Violation) and in which court you are charged. Felonies all originate in the District Court in the County you are charged and then Felony cases matriculate up to Circuit Court by way of an Indictment. A Felony charge can take anywhere from 12-24 months from arrest to trial date in Circuit Court but these cases can be resolved much quicker. Misdemeanor and Violation cases originate and stay in the District Court of the County you are charged in if you are charged by a State Trooper or Sheriff's Deputy. If you are charged by a Municipal Police Officer, your Misdemeanor or Violation case will be set in that Municipal Court. Depending on what you are charged with, Misdemeanor and Violation cases should take less than 6 months from your arrest date to get to a trial if not resolved prior to a trial.

Q. What penalties could I face if I'm convicted?

Totally depends on what you are charged with. Generally, felonies are punishable from 1 year and a day up to Life in prison. Misdemeanors are punishable from 30 days to 1 year in Jail. Our law firm has attorneys that have experience negotiating agreements to protect your record and avoid jail time in most situations.

Q. Can I get my charges reduced or dropped altogether?

Yes, absolutely. Very often, our attorneys are able to get charges reduced, amended and even dismissed altogether.